Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Fashion Lesson Plan on IAD - plus elementary updates

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 09:42:37 PDT

(Cathy - sending to you in case you area a digest user)

Greetings Art Educators,

Cathy Rode sent me a fabulous lesson plan for fashion design - Fashions
inspired by plants, animals or insects (this is a popular theme in
dollmaking, too). Cathy's lesson is linked from High School Lessons - but is
adaptable to middle school too:

For middle school - maybe make a cardboard stage and runway (with slit cut
out). Make fashion figures on tag board/poster board.... Use some of those
cool nature printed papers (available from Sax). Cut out the fashion figure
and glue/tape a skewer to the back side and then throw a fashion show
(insert the stick in the slit cut out and guide the figures down the run
way - from under the stage - Maybe add a cloth skirt to hide the kids. Stage
can be revamped for puppet shows. Sort of multi purpose)! Select music that
was/is also inspired by nature.

I have a wonderful image of a doll inspired by a praying Mantis if anyone is
interested. I am going to try to get permission to add it to this lesson
plan (as thumbnail)

Kathy Barger's lessons are all linked to Elementary Plans now:
Mummy Drawings - Symmetry:
Sailboat Paintings:
Rear View Portraits - Reflections:
I am going to add a Middle School link to this too.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department (IAD)
Incredible Art Resources