Re: spray paint dangers

---------

From: Dennis Golombek (dennis_golombek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 07:30:54 PDT

Dennis Golombek
Lowry Middle School
North Tonawanda, NY
http://www.dgolombek.net
---

In May, before we closed my middle School, I walked into my art room where the other teacher was spraying some fix on student pastel works. The window behind her was open and the wind caught some of the spray and I wound up catching some which caused an immediate severe asthmatic reaction in me. The school nurse wanted the can to see the contents. It contained toluene. Later, at the end of the school year, as I cleared out the storeroom, I found several old containers of turpentine, rubber cement and more sprays that previous art teachers had left buried in various nooks and crannies of the room over 20+ years. My recomendation is for a yearly cleanout. My primary MD as well as the pulmonologist tell me I should wear a mask, especially while working with clay, glazes, pastels and other sprays. I'm reluctant to do so but am considering it. Does anyone on the list use masks in their art room while using supposedly benign products? Thanks! Dennis _________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/