Re: Art Room Open House

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 06:39:16 PDT

HI Julie, I'm interested in how you will assess learning sytles from
the one kaleidoscope project?? What criteria do you use??

Sid

>>> Jarsawyer@aol.com 07/26/2004 6:06:04 AM >>>
Hi everyone! I've enjoyed the 1st day ideas and thought I'd add mine,
even
though this discussion, too, has died down a bit.

This year is different for us because it is the first year of a new
block
schedule, which I'm really excited about. So, on the first day this
year, I'm
going to give each of my students a Kaleidoscope profile which is a
learning
styles tool based on sensory, perception and organization and
temperament
preferences. I'll have a workshop based on their results and then the
following day
give guidance and the students a typed up version of what the results
say
about them as students and learners.

This way, the kids who are reluctant about staying in an academic class
for
90 minutes will know how they learn best and can advocate for
themselves.

So this gave me the idea for the parents on Open House night (which
always
comes too early) to see how their kids learn. I also will give the
parents
passwords for the online grading program that I use and show slides of
their kids
at work on their initial projects.

On the 2nd day, I think I'll start with an art project that everyone
really
loved last year. Going outside and using spray paint, stencil letters,
cut up
strawberry containers and other textures, kids create a textured
background
for a portrait they will draw (on good drawing paper) with colored
pencils and
add this portrait on top of the background with 3D O's creating a
shadow. I
think this idea came from a combination of lessons from this list.
Sorry I
can't remember names either!

Anyway, my 1st day will be a little different, but also won't be based
on
rules and expectations -- like you all said, those will come!

Julie

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---