Re: Art Smarts ~ massive school cuts

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 06:21:27 PDT

Snips from a lot of posts:
> Our contract is up for negotiation as well. Our union is fighting
> tooth and nail, but the cuts are being made anyway. Who knows what's
> going to happen. My husband and I are trying to come up with
> alternative plans. ugh. this sucks. Hopefully next time I post I'll be
> able to say something more positive! Jancy
>
> That is horrible! I went through the same thing (nearly) this spring,
> the district was going to cut all elementary and intermediate art and
> music, but the teacher's voted to give ourselves a 4% pay cut for 2
> years, and there was a huge outcry from parents and students at a
> board meeting- we were spared. I'm in Southern Calif.
> Heather
> :-( so frustrating that in 2004 so many still don't value the
> arts...............where are you teaching?

Something to think about:

The money involved in educating children in the US is more than all the
automotive money. That is fuel, manufacture, and sales. If you were a
greedy consortium in powerful positions and you wanted to get your
hands on that money you would make a long term plan. Vouchers has not
been embraced. Private schools are a source of profit. Consortium
wants access to that for profit source of money. Destroy public
schools and parents will be eager for the arts etc that has been
eliminated from public schools and is still alive and well in the for
profit schools.

Just a thought to mull over. The leadership in teacher's association
in my state have been very concerned about this and the "No Student
Left Behind" controversy.

---