Re: sketchbooks - middle and elementary?

---------

From: LINDA KIELING (KIELINGL_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 11:54:40 PDT

I teach middle school, 6th - 8th grades. We've made "matchbook" style
sketchbook for warm-up drawings to be done at the beginning of class.

I "require" a 9" x 12" sketchbook that we use for preliminary work,
etc
and for homework. We discuss how and why artists keep sketchbooks.
Students have two "assignments" a week due (6 out of the 9 weeks).
One
is teacher directed (observational drawing done in pencil drawing) and
one is student directed (any media/any subject). The assignment sheet
(Word document attached) is taped to the inside cover of their
sketchbook and has the due dates, place for parent to initial, etc.

We have a basic evaluation sheet (Excel document attached) with a key
on which both the student and the teacher assess the work. I do this
individually so that we can talk together about the strengths, etc.

The attached are the most current, having been "tweaked" during the
years to this format. Your are welcome to use, insert your own
assignments, etc. If they don't come through and you're interested
they are also on my web site......or e-mail me).
Linda

Linda W. Kieling
Art Educator
OAEA Youth Art Month Chair