Re: Time spent on E/P

---------

From: houstonia nerd (houstonianerd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 18:31:49 PDT

Hi Jackie -
I tend to agree that the e/p don't need to be introduced one at a time. I have a general overview/handout available for their folders, and then with each unit I introduce or emphasize 2 or 3. A project may require overlapping (space), repititon, and 3 textures as components of the rubric.

These are revisted and built upon in critique and throughout the year.

My rationalization is that generally artists don't sit down and say today I'm going to make a painting about line...unless of course, they're still exploring modernism/abstraction!

While I did value the intensity of my design classes that focused on E/P, those were year long courses with 6 hours a week in class and many more hours spent outside of class...we don't have that kind of time with our students.

For high school, I try to address the bigger picture of what art is about -
Dawn

Aust ArtClasses <austart@bryanisd.org> wrote:
When you introduce the elements and principles, how do you lay
it out. I have often spent at least a week on each one then
move on to a project based on the element. I am looking for
different approach. I personally feel it is hard to critique
work knowing about only one at a time. I was thinking spending
week 2 on elements and week 3 on principles. Touching on each
one with more in depth as the year progresses.

Here is my thoughts on first six weeks.

Week 1- Doodling excercise, and build sketchbook
Week 2 - Elements
Week 3 Priniciples Begin talking about class expectations,
guidelines, and use of technology on Fridays.
Week 4 Grid Drawing
Week 5 Perspective
Week 6 - It is at this point I feel I am pushing but the year
passes so fast.

Now these are thoughts at this time, we have 55 minute classes
daily. Anyone care to share you basic layout for the first six
weeks.

Jackie Brewer (Aust)
Bryan High School
Bryan Texas 77802