RE: In Albuquerque (Warning Political)

---------

From: mary maloney johnson (maloneymk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 11:46:14 PDT

Thanks, Woody.

I am glad someone is broaching the subject. Not that I expect all of us to
agree or have an interest. We, as teachers, ought to feel obliged to
encourage engagement in Democracy among our students and fellow teachers.
The tendency to fall asleep in our comfort is, apparently, characteristic
of members of a society that provides most of the basic needs of its
people. We feel like it's going well enough and we stay out of it, knowing
how "muddy" and messy it is to get involved in politics. Art teachers are
quite good at muddy and messy business, and art teachers, more than many
people, have issues concerning 1st amendment rights. I posted a link
recently to information about the odd adventure of a college professor
whose work was recently branded dangerous (he works with biological
materials) and was arrested and charged even after the police realized that
he only worked with common, safe, biological agents. The fear engendered by
the devastating events of September 11th can't be allowed to undo
fundamental rights of expression. Art teachers ought to be concerned and
leading the effort to assure that these basic rights are not destroyed in
reaction to the changes that must take place after this attack on our
country.

So here's a link to the subject I refer to:

mailto:media@caedefensefund.org

I only got one response on the subject, it didn't turn into a discussion.
Is it that people aren't interested? I don't know.

Good for you, Woody. Thanks,

Kathy

---