RE: Sketchbooks for HS art classes

---------

From: San D (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 07:37:10 PDT

  [How do you grade the assignments and how much weight do you apply to the
  sketchbook grades?
  [San D] I write narratives on the back of each sketch, and give grades
A-D. The cummulative average of the drawings counts as one assignment.

    How often do you require outside assignments in the sketchbooks? (Are
they
    optional or required?) They have 5 sketchbook assignments per grading
period (six weeks)
    [San D] When I use sketchbooks in the curriculum they are due weekly,
one sketch per week. (I use sketchbooks when I teach Foundations classes)

    Do you give random assignments or are they related to the work being
done in
    class?
    [San D] They are related to the assigment in class (i.e. value, line,
shape, etc), but they are extensively from observation.

    What are the requirements as to how they are done...
    [San D] They mirror what we are doing in class. So for example if we are
working on contour line in class. The assignment would be to draw your
parent doing something in contour line. (i.e. Dad sleeping on the couch, or
mom at the sink)

    How often do you require that they be turned in? If you have a certain
time
    that they are to be turned in, what are the consequences for not doing
so?
    How much extra time do you allow? [San D] They are due every Tuesday,
and if they are not turned in, they can cummulative them, by providing two
the next week, but I only accept them on one day.

    How important are outside sketchbook assignments? [San D] I stress that
artists use sketchbooks as a tool to 'think out' their 'art problems' or to
jot visual notes. Foundations is our beginning class, and I try to start
them on the habit of keeping sketchbooks for their use as artists. I do not
require sketchbooks of my advanced art students, who if my 'words' have
meant anything to them by now, are keeping their own sketchbooks, which they
know from my dialogue can be admitted as a portfolio piece when going on to
college.

    What kind of sketchbook do you require? Do you accept LOOSE sketchbook
    assignments as opposed to all drawings being contained in one book? Do
your
    students make their sketchbooks? [San D] They can use anything they
want.

    How do you handle it when students say they are unable to purchase a
    sketchbook?
    [San D] Usually they make one on their own time, but if that is not the
case, I will buy one on my own and give it to them.

  Ken Schwab
  Art teacher
  Leigh High School
  San Jose CA