Re: Curriculum/Syllabus

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 13:39:11 PDT

We have a district curriculum that is taught across the 5 high schools
in my district, but it is open to some flexibility on a school by
school and teacher basis. Even with the advent of grad standards
mandated by the state (which has somewhat fallen by the wayside),
teachers still have flexibility in their interpretation of how the
lessons that had the standards imbedded in them were to be implemented.

We have 17 art classes in the curriculum for 9th - 12th grade. Every
art class has a grad standard imbedded in the course. At the moment,
we are also looking at trying to include Advanced Placement Studio Art
which we have not been able to offer district wide. Art teachers from
each building are being given the opportunity to take the training and
get paid for doing it.

The classes in our current curriculum across the district are:
3 separate art labs (art survey classes)
Drawing I and II
Painting I and II
Sculpture I and II
Ceramics I and II
Commercial Art I and II
Video / Computer Art
Contemporary Crafts
Advanced Art Studio (not Advanced Placement)
Advanced Placement Art History

I should also state that all of the existing curriculum and the grad
standard imbedded lessons have been written by art teachers in our
district. The entire curriculum is reviewed on a 6 year cycle.

Kevan

---