First days- HS Art I

---------

From: Melissa Speelman (lucylomax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 16:02:37 PDT

I too am looking for something new, quick and exciting for my first week of classes. Our Open House is three days after the first day of school. I like to have something to display. Last year my Art 8 students converted "Starry Night" into it's complements. Each student worked on a portion of the painting. The final work was about 7' x 10'. It was a great color theory refresher. Students loved it, plus it was finished in time for Open House. (There used to be a link to the image on IAD, but I couldn't find it.)

I never go over my syllabus or rules the first day. I teach Jr. High and that is all the kids hear on the first day of school. My Art 7 students are given a handful of white paper strips (about 2" x 24") and masking tape. Each table is challenged to work together and create a paper sculpture. Once finished they must give their sculpture a title. I've done this for about 4 years now and rarely see the same sculpture twice. I use this activity to point out how each group used the same materials yet produced very different sculptures. I explain that much unlike math class, when I give students a problem I expect 27 different answers. It's also a great icebreaker for the students.

Anyway, if you have any ideas for a quick, 3-day, stunning group project let me know!

Thanks!

---