Re: Art of India

---------

From: Grant headquarters (jggrant_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 14:28:32 PDT

I am in the process of doing a small art unit on India with my grade twos.
They are making simple scratchboard henna tattoos based on pictures I have
supplied them, both of Indian mehndis and those from other countries, such
as Iran, Egypt, Somalia, etc. After they have done their own hand design,
they fill in the space around the area with other types of patternwork.
Next they will be working on symmetry around cutouts of Indian doors. Hard
to explain so I will probably have to wait until they have completed it so
I can take digital photos. This unit is actually a 'trip through Asia' so
next they will visit China and do some calligraphy. They will practice
large calligraphic shapes on newspaper and then work on rice paper,
choosing one that will be mounted along with pieces of Chinese newspapers.
Finally, they will go to Japan and work on simple Haikus and illustrate
these with markers, which they will then soften using brushes and water.
Hopefully, I will have photos soon to illustrate some of these, though I
have done the calligraphy before and it was highly successful, even being
shown to teacher groups as how multiculturalism is taught in schools.

Gina
Melbourne

---