RE: First days- HS Art I

---------

From: K A (arizkma_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 09:59:35 PDT

This brought to mind something I have done before. I have a hard copy, so don't have a link, but I would imagine it is online somewhere too. It's a group problem solving activity involving squares that are but into pieces, and students have to work together in small groups to figure out how they fit together to become squares. It takes a whole class period, because the pieces do fit in many ways, but can only makes the squares one way. It fosters skills of cooperation, thinking outside of the box, problem solving in more than one way and the fact that art is about a way of seeing. Anyone have an online link to something like this?

~ Kathleen Arola

"Hillmer, Jan" <HillmJan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:
I did something like this at the end of the school year, based on some magnets I bought that make cool designs no matter which way you put them together.
The paper was square,