RE: Art of India

---------

From: houstonia nerd (houstonianerd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 19:00:13 PDT

Hi Jan -

Multicultural Studio Art Projects for Secondary students by Susan Hogan has images of the chalk paintings...actually there is a chapter on art of India - it's a pretty good resource.

It looks like the sidewalk paintings may be called Rangolis. I can't do an image search at the moment, I have to write a paper...

Feel free to email me personally if you have more questions about the book, it may take a couple days, but I will be happy to respond - Dawn

"Hillmer, Jan" <HillmJan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:
Do you have any pics of these? A parent was after me to do this a couple years ago, as our school takes a day to learn about Diwali. One of the coolest things I know about Diwali is that families that celebrate it decorate their sidewalks and even streets with a colored substance. If memory serves me right, the substance is a rice flour. Anyway, I remember looking into those drawings.... a long time ago. It reminded me of the SW sandpaintings and also Mandalas.
Jan