Re: First day- HS - from Patty Knott

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 17:17:00 PDT

Greetings all,

I miss Patty's words of wisdom on Getty list..so I am
reposting one she made last year:

First day introductory stuff....can't think of
anything more boring. The kids get this every class,
all day long and I'm thinking...

I'm not going to do it.

I think, instead I will surprise them with an
activity, not sure what yet. Since I teach Advanced
and AP I've been considering giving them some
elementary lessons and see what they do with them. In
fact, I've thought of doing this for a whole year ---
see how sophisticated they can make very elementary
lessons. I even ran this by a few kids and they said
"yeah" and started telling me the elementary projects
they liked most.

So my first day is going to be play. And I'm going to
share with them my sketchbook. Since I require a
sketchbook, they ought to know I keep one too.
The rules will come ---- they know the rules

Think about being a teenager, first day back at school
and all day hearing the rules...
now lets talk about how we turn kids off.

Maybe if they know I am willing to turn things
backwards and upside down, they will feel comfortable
doing the same.

My first rule is "Do Something different or a
different way every day"
I have a really hard time saying this is what you
will learn because art is all about learning that it
is any way but this is --

and I have no Standards anywhere in my room

Patty Knott

I had this saved in my folder...I have more
posts...but they should be easy to find in the
archives...Yep ...just enter - first day high school
artsednet - in Google and two threads come up. Use the
archives while you can. They may not always remain
searchable in Google...don't really know what their
plans are right now. There was first day stuff posted
for all grade levels last summer.

Judy Decker