RE: Art of India - Diwali Lamps (images and more)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 12:49:15 PDT

Hi Dawn and Jan (and all)

--- "Hillmer, Jan" <HillmJan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:
> Do you have any pics of these? A parent was after
> me to do this a couple years ago, as our school
> takes a day to learn about Diwali.

I am posting this to the list so Dawn doesn't go
surfing for images.... There are many good links out
there to learn about Diwali - I just have a few listed
(I did my surf just for Diwali lamps - and an image
surf for Diwali lamps - look for some commercial sites
for lamps - I skipped a bunch of those. Some site call
the lamps Diyas)

About Diwali: ~ 12th November 2004 ~
http://diwali.indiangiftsportal.com/about-diwali.html
http://www.sas.cornell.edu/CURW/hindu/inside/fest/diwali.html
http://www.open-sez-mefestivals.co.uk/diwali.htm

Image:
http://www.movinghere.org.uk/gallery/celebration/bowl.htm

Image:
http://sanskriti.neu.edu/photos/photos/pages/lamp_jpg.htm

Image:
http://library.thinkquest.org/17282/images/festivals/diwali_lamps.jpg

"How to" to tweak - might want to use earthenware
firing clay
http://www.bigeyedowl.co.uk/craft-ideas/Diwali.htm

Materials: Clay; a small piece of string for the wick;
vegetable oil

1. Roll the clay into a ball about 5cm across.

2. Hollow it into a bowl shape with a small lip in one
side (pinch pot method). With the thumb and forefinger
gently pinch one side of the pot at
the top and pull slightly outwards to form a spout
(think gravy bowt with out a handle) Leave to dry out.
 Fire if using earthenware clay. Paint the inside and
outside if you wish - or glaze.

3.Lie the wick from the lip into the bowl.

4.Add a little vegetable oil to the bowl and let the
wick soak it up.

5.Light the wick at the lip. OR use tea light candle

Lesson Plans:

Lesson Plan for Diwali:
http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresources/units/Byrnes-celebrations/DIWALI.html

AskAsia (geared to middle school)
http://www.askasia.org/for_educators/instructional_resources/lesson_plans/less_plan.htm

Hawkshaw's photo Record of India - 1880's- 1890's
http://www.harappa.com/hawkshaw/index.html
Images:
http://www.harappa.com/pict.html
More on this site:
http://www.harappa.com/

Basketmaking:
http://www.4to40.com/discoverindia/index.asp?article=discoverindia_basketmakinginindia

Terracotta figures:
http://www.4to40.com/discoverindia/index.asp?article=discoverindia_TERRACOTTA
Pottery:
http://www.4to40.com/discoverindia/index.asp?article=discoverindia_pottery

Puppets:
http://www.4to40.com/discoverindia/index.asp?article=discoverindia_puppetsperformances

from Discover India:
http://www.4to40.com/discoverindia/default.htm

Introduction to India (brief):
http://www.interknowledge.com/india/index.html

Access Asia Lesson Plans:
http://www.curriculum.edu.au/accessasia/lesson_plans.htm

I am sitting on my hands right now so I don't surf for
more till you decide more what you want to do.... I
did find some beautiful images of the drawings you
were referrring to ...can't say what site it was
on...but it is one I sent to you already
(grin)...maybe in that list of Architecture sites?

Cheers,

Judy Decker

P.S. Don't everyone expect this much help from me...
Jan is a major contributor to Incredible Art
Department....I "owe" her.