Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: Art of India - Diwali Lamps (images and more)

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 12:49:15 PDT

Hi Dawn and Jan (and all)

--- "Hillmer, Jan" <> wrote:
> Do you have any pics of these? A parent was after
> me to do this a couple years ago, as our school
> takes a day to learn about Diwali.

I am posting this to the list so Dawn doesn't go
surfing for images.... There are many good links out
there to learn about Diwali - I just have a few listed
(I did my surf just for Diwali lamps - and an image
surf for Diwali lamps - look for some commercial sites
for lamps - I skipped a bunch of those. Some site call
the lamps Diyas)

About Diwali: ~ 12th November 2004 ~

"How to" to tweak - might want to use earthenware
firing clay

Materials: Clay; a small piece of string for the wick;
vegetable oil

1. Roll the clay into a ball about 5cm across.

2. Hollow it into a bowl shape with a small lip in one
side (pinch pot method). With the thumb and forefinger
gently pinch one side of the pot at
the top and pull slightly outwards to form a spout
(think gravy bowt with out a handle) Leave to dry out.
 Fire if using earthenware clay. Paint the inside and
outside if you wish - or glaze.

3.Lie the wick from the lip into the bowl.

4.Add a little vegetable oil to the bowl and let the
wick soak it up.

5.Light the wick at the lip. OR use tea light candle

Lesson Plans:

Lesson Plan for Diwali:

AskAsia (geared to middle school)

Hawkshaw's photo Record of India - 1880's- 1890's
More on this site:

Terracotta figures:

from Discover India:

Introduction to India (brief):

Access Asia Lesson Plans:

I am sitting on my hands right now so I don't surf for
more till you decide more what you want to do.... I
did find some beautiful images of the drawings you
were referrring to ...can't say what site it was
on...but it is one I sent to you already
(grin)...maybe in that list of Architecture sites?

Judy Decker

P.S. Don't everyone expect this much help from me...
Jan is a major contributor to Incredible Art
Department....I "owe" her.

Do you Yahoo!?