Re: Art of India -Jan

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 17:53:33 PDT

Greetings Jan,

I have a whole page of resources for Art of India:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/India.htm

It is really hard for me to brainstorm for you right
now as I don't know what kind of materials you have on
hand.... but I will give some suggestions.

Madhubani Painting - Folk art paiting. I was going to
do this on handmade paper...but you could use brown
paper bags....Crumple them up sevearl times to soften
them - dip in a watered down ink wash to give them the
look of handmade paper....iron flat. Outline with
Sharpie marker - then paint with tempera. Have kiddies
do animals - or scenes from everyday life. There is a
lot of similarity to Amate painting from Mexico (and I
was going to show those to my kids).

"Silver" foil tooled masks (use aluminum tooling
foil).

Mendhi (henna) hand designs....See Christine's hand
project and tweak it for Mendhi... I do have lots of
links for that - just not on my site. Kids could use
colored pencils or fine point markers for the designs
- Or scratch board. Here is a kid work of art:
http://www.curriculum.edu.au/accessasia/myplace/gallery/traditions/traditions.htm

From this site:
http://www.curriculum.edu.au/accessasia/myplace/
Featured on Great Sites right now....

Do some block printing....

Here is one link to get you started from my site -
Getty ArtsEdNet:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Maps/india.html

and another:
http://www.hitchams.suffolk.sch.uk/india_art/index.htm

LOTS to see on that page...and it is easy to find from
my home page...there is a link in the blue table (it
also comes up on first page Google)

Check this GREAT site too:
http://www.curriculum.edu.au/accessasia/myplace/
Features on Great Sites right now....

June 2003 Getty archives will have all of the Masks of
India links that I posted....

I have a book of lesson ideas too.... up in the attic.
If I can find it I will let you know...it was too
elementary for me so I never used it.

Tweak the Russian architecture lesson ideas that were
posted to Architecture of India... Lots you could do
with the Taj Mahal....

Enter Art of India Lesson Plan in Google and many
ideas will come up. Once you pu tyour projects on your
web site - I will grab one of each for a lesson ideas
page for IAD.

Judy Decker

--- "Hillmer, Jan" <HillmJan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:
> This fall I'd like to spend some time working with
> my students learning about the arts of India. Does
> anyone have some good suggestions for overview
> booksand/or lessons? I'd like to get a bit of a
> headstart on the learning so I can get an idea of
> what to cover with my elementary kids. Ideas? This
> geographical area doesn't seem to get a lot of
> attention, so I am not sure if this is a workable
> idea, or how this will turn out. Anyway, any leads
> this wonderful group can give me would be
> appreciated.
> Jan

=====
Judy Decker