You too can have Judy D. style yard art - see lesson plan

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 14:02:52 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I am working on another creature....this one from an armature from 1992!
She was a bit wobbly and needed some extra support but is now ready to
plaster...
I added a photo in progress to the lesson plan on my site.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6africa.htm
Or short version lesson:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6sculpt.htm

Vicki Ranck - if you see this -- check out my number one and number two BIG
ideas:

We learn a culture's history, values and beliefs through the study of their
arts.

The arts are basic symbol systems by which a culture communicates,
interprets and acquires knowledge of the world around them.

That's out of my head -- never referred to any National Standards..... I do
like the order your research shows.... Folks - Vicki Ranck's research
findings show the importance of the National Standards strands - in order as
ranked by twenty five art teachers (scroll
down) http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/teacher.htm
Charlot - if you are reading...I added a short bit from your paper - check
that out.

Well...off to plaster now....More yard art samples to come -- for your
enjoyment. We (hubby and I) are certainly having fun with them... Next is a
pink flamingo for Matt - very long leggity of course. Making more dollies,
too....

My unit is of course inspired by African Art - you could also use Oaxacan
Art - and the work of Bill Hickman:
http://www.hickmanstudio.com/animals2.htm

You could coat the work with outdoor/waterproof varnish - we are using
polyurethane and it is holding up.... Just don't use Sharpie markers as the
lines will run (I can't coat my wood sculpture - but it is oil base enamel
paints so should be OK -- photos to come of that one).

Cheers!

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/