Re: interactive art ideas... This is REALLY needed Lia and Susan

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 10:18:10 PDT

Greetings Lia and Susan,

Pam Stephens - this is MUCH needed for the "ultimate
Kindergarten book", too.

Pretty please keep brainstorming ideas for the littles
ones... Everyone needs to "get in the act".
Your admin may think you are nuts - but so what? Do it
for the kids - It is what helps them learn and
remember. Gardner knew what he was talking
about....and we are supposed to be "comprehenisve".

Greg Percy's "I Draw the Line" on Volume one of Songs
in the Key of Art is a winner... I am trying to get
him to do more Ps and Es songs.... We could fill his
days with needed songs.

Here is one post I made in September for Line Hunt:

Get them aware of their environment. They need to
discover line, shape, patterns, textures etc.

Here is a lesson to get you going on "Line" - Go on a
"Line Hunt" (lion hunt) around the school. Make it a
real adventure. Really ham it up.
Here is the lesson plan - you can add your own twist
to it - your own final project.
Take students on a "Line Hunt" - like a safari through
school.
http://teachers.net/lessons/posts/2501.html
Wouldn't it be great if you could even get one of
those pith hats? If you can't, borrow one from a local
theatre - OR here is a real cheap one to buy.
http://www.unitedmaskandparty.com/Hats/novelty.htm
---------------------------------

Add Susan's sounds to it...What kind of sound does a
dotted line make? What about dashes? What is it was
dots AND dashes... And what does a wavy line sound
like?

How about making shapes with their bodies. Kids could
form groups to make basic shapes. Make "hands
sculpture" using their hands to form basic shapes (no,
not permanent sculptures - these are just "in the air"
using their hands).

Textures is an easy one... That can be done by taking
newsprint and crayon stubs around the school
yard/building. When they return to the classroom -
have them look at other students papers and try to
guess where the texture came from.

I can see sounds going with values too.... and
colors....And how about flavoring your icing for the
edible color wheel? Buy packets of unsweetened Kool
aid to add to the icing for color and flavor. Act
out/dance your favorite color - then include that
color as a major color in a work of art.

Keep the ideas coming.... I am saving them again...but
THIS time on my machine - not Yahoo.
I lost all of my good ideas last February when Yahoo
yanked my account. Pretty please - no one else report
me as a spammer to Yahoo.

Judy

=====
Judy Decker