Re: interactive art ideas...

---------

From: lia (johns392_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 08:27:55 PDT

Jackie....I have done a lot of things with this....way before I even knew
about multiple intelligences. I worked with elementary back then. I did
this with K-2 mostly. We did art exercises.

When we studied shapes...I had a physical movement that copied shapes...and
we would stand up and do these together as a warm-up or for closure. I
had another set with line. I can't describe these too well here...but they
involve standing and moving...and do require a bit of room.

I also did physical movement with the concept of direction....where we
would actually lay down when I said horizontal. Sometimes I made a game
out of this....telling the kids that during the lesson....anytime I said
horizontal, vertical or diagonal...even whispered....they should get in
that physical position. My principal was in my room once...and once during
such an occasion....when suddenly the whole class got
horizontal. Yes...we all laid on the floor. He loved it.

I have also given groups of 5 kinders or 1st graders long ropes and asked
them to create certain shapes together using the rope. Each group would
make a circle or triangle or whatever. We did this outside usually. It
is a great exercise in cooperation too....as a square only has 4 corners
and someone has to help with a side....and you can gain a lot of insight
into personalities.

I also had kids clap patterns as an exercise....even using visual patterns
with coding.... this was fun too. ...lia