Re: Whimsical, stylized animals

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 21:05:50 PDT

Greetings Jill (and all)

Here are some to add to the mix of "whimsical animals" (none look like
Haring, though)... I know Laural Burch is a favorite - but there are others,
too. Jeryl Hollingsworth's kids really like Ed Emberley's books...She used
the animals one for her Circus unit (books are easy to find)

I think it would be fun to play with animals made from letters, too - See
Bembo's Zoo:
http://www.bemboszoo.com/
Bembo's Zoo - Online ABC book. Letters are used to design the animals.
Fun Flash presentation of this great picture book for kids (and adults,
too).

Bembo's Zoo: An Animal ABC Book
by Roberto De Vicq De Cumptich

Bill Hickman's sculptures are a hoot:
http://www.hickmanstudio.com/animals2.htm
Tie in Oaxacan animals - and Picasso - when you use Bill's work.
(I have links to Oaxacan animals on my Mexico page)

Fine Artists (historical):
Joan Miro (be careful which images you choose... some are sexual symbols)
Paul Klee

For very colorful animals...see Franz Marc.

Loved these "Art Appeal"!

>>was it Edward Said Tinga Tinga?
http://www.insideafricanart.com/Artists%20Main%20Pages/Tingatinga-main.htm

http://www.zanzibarconnection.com/tingact.htm

http://www.tanserve.com/culture/tinga.html

I would love to see your kids art on this theme. It would be great fun to
put an Animals in Art theme page up on IAD....any contributors yet?

Hmmm....Maybe even do a take off on the Cat Parody site? Make your own
animal parodies for "whimsical artists".... Maybe Chagal's Cat would be
floating/flying..... Rousseau's cat would be hiding in some plants....Paul
Klee's cat would be a fun one to do, too..... I am having fun visualizing
all sorts of artist cats now "in the style of" (grin).

Judy Decker

---