Re: Character Education & Art History

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 10:00:16 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
> Somewhere out there, either from Bunki or Judy there was a lesson plan that
> involved hands drawn on black construction paper with metallic or white color
> pencils. The images posted were stunning. Anyway, I believe they talked about
> the sacred circle and eastern philosophies, but I took it to my students
> (here,
> deep in the Bible belt of Tennessee) that a hand is a strong symbol, that it
> can help someone up or slap someone down....that sort of thing. You could
> incorporate character ed into that.
> Vicki
**************************

Hi. You'll find that lesson on our website under "Sacred Circles"....

The lesson comes from a book called "MANDALA - Luminous Symbols for Healing"
by Judith Cornell, PH.D. who is from San Francisco. It discusses the
spiritual light from within the self which comes from ALL religions and
encompasses the circle as the common ground for of all religious artworks.
It doesn't just cover eastern philosophies but ALL philosophies of religion.
Being from California...all Californians are aware of finding our
"center"...(grin) as well as grazing on sprouts.

Sharon Kennedy from our listserv turned me on to this book and lesson.
Toodles.....Bunki

---