Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

From: Harold Olejarz (hoart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 08:49:31 PDT

It's a good list to have but seeing the list reminds me of a funny
experience I had many years ago with a group of 6th graders who were
working on sculpture projects.

I was going from student to student at one table talking to the
students about their projects when one student said, "Mr. O all you
ever do is say nice things about the work." I replied that I always
tried to bring out what's good about a student's work but if I thought
something was not good and needed improvement I usually say so. The
student gave me one of those disbelieving looks that said he kind of
half believed what I said. After talking to another student I got to
the student who remarked upon my always being so positive. I looked at
this students work and exclaimed, "Wow, this really sucks!" The student
was shocked and the entire table cracked up because they knew I was
kidding. After a short pause the student whose work I said sucked also
realized that I was joking but I think he learned a lesson.

personal web site -
school web site -

Please send personal e-mail to