Re: Request for Book Information/ Books for Art Ed

---------

From: V Moreira Komando (komandov_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 11:43:36 PDT

I have the text Emphasis Art from my art ed classes. For my high school classroom I have found Exploring Visual Design to be my text of choice to teach the elements and principles and to build a strong foundation for visual work.
( http://www.davis-art.com/textbooks/middle/evd/main.asp )
The students use this book in the foundation classes, but also in the more advanced classes as a reference when they are on a project. I love this book! It not only explains visual design, but has great images to go with each chapter of a multitude of artists' works and cultures.

Art and the Human Experience are also a great set of texts.
( http://www.davis-art.com/textbooks/middle/MSP/main.asp )
They are a series for the Middle school student that includes Art: A Personal
Journey, Art: A Global Pursuit, and Art: A Community Connection. ( Maybe a 6th, 7th, and 8th grade sequence?)

You can email Davis from their web page and request a review copy. They have curriculum support packages that are great!

I have just ordered Celebrate Your Creative Self: Over 25 Exercises to Unleash the Artist Within by Mary Todd Beam for my Senior Portfolio class. I think this book will be most helpful as we explore surface and design. This is not a classroom text per se, but I think it will be a great place to start with my advanced students. My photo class uses The Photographic Eye text

Another new text I will use this year for my Ceramics class is Hand-Building Techniques (Ceramics Class) by Joaquim Chavarria. I got a preview copy and showed some of the 3D kids and they are all excited about it. I have one other new pottery book that has all the notes I always give about clay, glazing, the kiln, beginning techniques, etc. But it is new and I do not have a copy at home to give you the name. I would say it is a reference book for the beginning pottery student. It has mini worksheets/ tests in it to review the processes and concepts that are introduced. If you want the name of it, I will be in school on Wednesday and can get it to you. Up until these pottery books, I would use my own (Nelson and others) and artists to introduce my lessons.

Other helpful books, especially for new art teachers: Multicultural Studio Art Projects for Secondary Students: Ready-To-Use Lesson Plans, Color Prints and Worksheets for Exploring Eight World Cultures by Susan Hogan, Survival Kit for the Secondary School Art Teacher by Helen D. Hume, and A Survival Kit for the Elementary/Middle School Art Teacher (J-B Ed:Survival Guides) by Helen D. Hume.

High school teachers will love From Ordinary To Extraordinary: Art & Design Problem Solving by Ken Vieth.

I would also highly recommend The Art Spirit by Robert Henri. I think this is a must have for any art teacher. I believe it would be helpful to have some sort of artists' materials safety book. I know of The Artist's Complete Health and Safety Guide by Monona Rossol, but do not own it myself.

Best wishes!
Vivian

lia <johns392@usfamily.net> wrote:
Hi everyone! I have landed a new job...and will be teaching art
education
at the University of Eau Claire in Wisconsin this Fall. I am very
excited
about this. In addition to being in the thrusts of moving....I am
trying
to review some art education texts. Many I know....some have been
revised....etc.etc....and there are some I don't know well at all. I
have
my own ideas....but I thought it would be a good idea if I asked you
all....which textbook you found most useful in your college prep
classes....I am thinking of art education texts primarily...though
others
might be interesting as well. I would especially like to hear from
fairly
new art teachers who have entered the field and any elementary teachers
who
integrate art into their curriculum a great deal. Those of you who
teach
at the university level could also provide useful feedback.

If you could take a moment and tell me the book...and why you like and
value it...that would be very insightful. You can email here or
privately. Thanks very much..... lia

Increase the Peace ~^~

http://members.cox.net/artzheart