Re: request for book information

---------

From: houstonia nerd (houstonianerd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 07:42:00 PDT

Becoming and Art Teacher by Jane Bates.
I like the emphasis on the thought/planning when developing lessons and units and refer to this book pretty often. Plus, it makes you prepare a pretty broad range of lessons that you can use when you teach. It does have a chapter on interdisciplinary instruction.

I would also recommend sections from Contemporary Artists and Multicultural Education and Kerry Freedman's Teaching Visual Culture. And maybe Postmodern Art Education: An approach to curriculum by Efland, Freedman and Stuhr.

Congratulations!
Dawn

lia <johns392@usfamily.net> wrote:
Hi everyone! I have landed a new job...and will be teaching art education
at the University of Eau Claire in Wisconsin this Fall. I am very excited
about this. In addition to being in the thrusts of moving....I am trying
to review some art education texts. Many I know....some have been
revised....etc.etc....and there are some I don't know well at all. I have
my own ideas....but I thought it would be a good idea if I asked you
all....which textbook you found most useful in your college prep
classes....I am thinking of art education texts primarily...though others
might be interesting as well. I would especially like to hear from fairly
new art teachers who have entered the field and any elementary teachers who
integrate art into their curriculum a great deal. Those of you who teach
at the university level could also provide useful feedback.

If you could take a moment and tell me the book...and why you like and
value it...that would be very insightful. You can email here or
privately. Thanks very much..... lia