Discipline Tip - Class Rules - Good first day lesson.

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 11:04:48 PDT

Greetings ArtsEdNetters,

For those who see your kiddies everyday....Here is a tip to consider from
Master Teacher

*********************************
MT Tip of the Week - July 2, 2004
*********************************

To establish the best relationship with students on the first day, start
with a positive. The best positives in the classroom are what students
can do and get to study this year in your class. Discuss both briefly on
the first day - then teach a short lesson - and let students show evidence
of learning success. Many first days have shortened classes. Don't spend
that first day listing rules, regulations, and "can't do's." Instead, save
these necessities for later in the first week when you can
present them as values, benefits, and positives.

*********************************

You can sign up to receive these free tips:
http://www.masterteacher.com

Here is an excellent first day lesson for middle school. My students really
got a lot out of it. I didn't grade it on skill - just on completion. They
started it in class and finished as a homework assignment. They were
instructed to work on it with their parents.
http://www.teachervision.fen.com/lesson-plans/lesson-6041.html

I made my own hand-out with instructions at the top and meaning of Mandala.
I had several Mandala images from the Internet. This was a lesson about self
and personal identity - not religion.

My middle school students came up with the class rules themselves (and they
were so close to mine that I left up both charts). Our rules were what
expected behavior should be - not the "shall nots".

Here are the rules my husband uses for high school:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/rules.htm

Have a parent letter ready to go explaining your class rules/expectations
and consequences. Here is one I used:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/letter.htm

Note - the way I did permission to publish won't pass legal muster... but I
didn't care. It was easier for me to keep track of the DO NOTS than the DOs.
I made parents and kids responsible - not me. My district refused to build
permission to publish into the permission to use forms.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
Incredible Art Resources