Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Christine's Russian Basilicas - brief how-to

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 10:35:26 PDT

Greetings Patti and all,

I found this brief "how to" from Christine
Sumner-Lyman in my folder.
Christine told me her old site will be gone soon - so
be sure to stop by and see the art project ideas one
last time. She has some good ones!

From Christine:

Basically I had the kids use all slab work, started
with the base (I have this huge garbage can where I
keep my clay pre-balled for them) on cardboard- they
just press out w/ palms flat, fingers tilted up so
they're level- I tell them to make the slabs about as
thick as a chocolate chip cookie- the biggest square
or rectangle they can get from the slab they've
pressed is the base. (Note: rolling pins and guide
sticks could be used)
Then they proceed to press out the walls, and the
roof- most kids got the base and all 4 walls, some
even got the roof done, in the 1st 50 minute
class- that includes about 10-12 minutes for showing
them how to wrap and store work and the initial demo
showing them downloaded images of basilicas,
Russian domeds buildings.
Next class- they finish the basic cube with roof- they
make the spires- creating a cylinder w/ a slab- they
cut out ARCH shaped windows and doors using compass
points (must have a door, and at least 2 windows,
preferably on opposite sides to keep construction
strong), and make the onion - shaped
domes using pinch pots w/ elongated tops. IMPORTANT :
BLOW UP! Towers and domes without windows shouldhave
opening cut in roof before attaching for air to flow.
Third class: using clay extruders, press out the
detail "trim " for around all windows and doors,
making sure to blend with tool, carve intials and info
about table # and class on bottom of base. Also make
them create"shingles" impressions w/ the clay tools by
pressing in rows. Takes 2 wks to dry out. Takes 2
classes to paint w/ acrylics.
This was a sixth grad lesson - but fifth grade could
handle it too.

I am really looking forward to seeing what Patti comes
up with.

Here is Christine's URL: Her new site - which
is loaded with great projects, too, will soon be up at
thsi location.

Judy Decker

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department