RE: art room rules

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 10:16:04 PDT

We have the "Big 3" which are schoolwide rules that basically cover everything. "Be respectful, Be responsible, Be on time & ready." On the first day of school we discuss these rules and I ask the students, "What would be an example of something that is NOT respectful in an art room?" and so forth. This way, the students also know specifically what not to do (like leave messes or run in the art room). We even talk about what kind of language is disrespectful and give examples (like "shut up"). I try to cover all bases with this and the 3 rules cover everything.

For clean-up, I may have posted this before, but it is the BEST thing I've ever done. It took about 2 hours to prepare, but has saved me so much hassle with cleanup. I made a color coded job chart. Four large squares: red, orange, yellow, blue. Each table seats four people (occasionally five, but then that leftover person is just my "special helper" for whatever random task I have). Then, I made little tags with job on each tab (large print and a little picture). Jobs such as: clean paintbrushes, refill water cup, throw away garbage, wipe table, etc.. The tags have velcro on them, as does the job chart. On the table, I painted one color at each seat. I put the task for each seat on the job chart every day. At the beginning of the class period, I will say, "All the orange people today will wash the brushes.. and so forth." That way, each child is responsible for one job at their table and it is an easy reference and everything gets done. I don't let the child leave the room
 until their job is done. I haven't had much problem with cleanup since I started this job chart thing. Good luck! Marcia

"Freeland, Sue" <freelas@gardnerk12.org> wrote:
I have begun to number everything...the watercolor trays, the paint brushes, the pastel boxes...everything I can.
Each student has a number in my rank book and they keep that number, everything they use is that number. If a brush gets left in the sink I just go back to the person who used it last...
A sub I had last year thought this was great, even he found it easy to use. My Brushes are in a holder all in order so the numbers are easy to find, the paint trays and pastels all have numbers on the ends as well as the tops so they are easy to find on the shelf. I do need to once in a while search out a tray that another person has "borrowed" I make them give it back and then locate theirs.
Palettes are easy to track now (as to who is not cleaning them)...
I have found that at the end of the year I have not gone through so much materials!
Hope this helps...