new teacher, quotes, need art room rules

---------

From: MERRILEE GLADKOSKY (gladrag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 03:02:06 PDT

     Couple of things. First, to the new teacher:
You got some advice to use the same lessons, modified
somewhat, for several grade levels. My perspecitive
on this is that it is more useful to make those
modifications in an orderly, age and developmentally
appropriate way. Try to set up new learning levels
for each new lesson as you move through the grades.
Using the same lesson, slightly modified (if only for
the sake of modifying and making it more challenging)
is okay, but if you take it from the standpoint of
developing a good curriculum as you go along, then you
will be on more solid ground.
     As an experienced art teacher I am having to cut
way back on what I do this year. My board of ed seems
to havew the priority of neatness for the art room.
My principal shares this concern (and to a point they
are right). I will be tailoring what materials are
available for students to use and making them VERY
responsible for their care and upkeep. Seems many
don't know how to put things away and I've been a good
ol' mom about it. Cannot do it anymore. If they
cannot take care of materials they will not have them
to use. I hate to make this across the board in any
class as each child is at their own level of
capability. HOWEVER......I've had it with the
neatness issues. I need to help myself here.
Neatness will be my focus this year. Organizational
skills are poor (mine) with physical things, but good
with abstract organization. Plus, as the ADD "poster
child" for this neatness problem, I do have to stop
and take a moment to try to develop a system. Ouch.
     Website development: the techies like to keep
control where I am. That simple. control. Good
people, not always on target. Good control. They
get to share the blame if something goes wrong which
is not so bad either.
     My need: does anyone have good art room rules?
I've always let the kids work them out with me but I
need a good, general chart to start the year with and
follow through with.
     Thanks, so much,
          Merrilee, in CT

---