Re: Quick Survey

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 21:31:04 PDT

1. I feel my students understand the grading scale (that you use).

    Yes, when they pay attention!

2. I feel I have been given adequate training in assessment.

    Yes

3. I feel grading in art is important.

    Yes and no.. I have mixed feelings. I don't want to grade on a student's talent, but rather on effort, participation, following directions, understanding of concepts presented, etc.

4. I am confident in assessing my students' Art.

    Sometimes I think so, but then I wonder if I grade too easily. I want every student to have a positive experience in art class and I don't want a grade to "turn a kid off" towards art. For example, my brother got a B in art in high school and decided not to take anymore art classes. He didn't want it to ruin his GPA (can you believe a "B" was bad for him?) . He made some really great clay vessels in that class and enjoyed it, but decided his grades were more important.

5. I feel I have enough time during my classes to effectively assess student understanding.

Yes, during class time I observe what the students are doing every step of the way to determine their final grades.