Re: camera question

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 21:20:07 PDT

Thank you Marvin, that is great advice. I will definitely check for a used filter. The vaseline thing was something I was planning on trying too! Marcia

Marvin Bartel <marvinpb@goshen.edu> wrote:. . . I want to buy a filter to create dream-like effects on my SLR camera. . . . Thanks, Marcia

Often these dream-like soft focus effects are made by placing a bit of thin Vaseline smeared on to an ordinary haze filter. Try leaving a clean spot in the filter so you can get a sharp spot in one part of the picture such as the eyes of a person or a place near the center of a scene. There are also sets of filters that produce all kinds of gimmicky effects. The filter size depends on the camera lens. The older normal lenses needed either 49 or 52 mm filters, but the newer self-focusing lenses often take larger filters. Read the size from the front of the lens. Our local camera dealer has box of used filters - a good place to start. Try to find something used at a place where you can carry the camera in with you to make sure it fits.

Marvin Bartel