I am presently putting together an action research project on Art Assessment. I teach grades 1-4, (next year K-5), and we have had a change in the way our district grades. Grades K-2 recieve effort grades and grades 3-5 recieve letter grades (A-F). I developed many types of rubrics to help the students and myself clarify objectives. We included more class critiques, and peer critiques. It has really helped the understanding of objectives and created meaning for my students and their parents.
As part of my research, I am lacking feedback from other art specialists about Assessment. If you would just take a moment to answer Yes, Not sure, or No to the following questions...I would greatly appreciate it!
1. I feel my students understand the grading scale (that you use).
2. I feel I have been given adequate training in assessment.
3. I feel grading in art is important.
4. I am confident in assessing my students' Art.
5. I feel I have enough time during my classes to effectively assess student understanding.
Thanks for your time. If anyone wants to elaborate on any of these or wants to chat about assessement, I would love to read or interact with your views.
Sharon K. - Wisconsin