RE: Off topic, Las Vegas advice please :)

---------

From: Jeanne Voltura (jvoltura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 11:50:04 PDT

Things worth seeing in Las Vegas to me (someone who has lived here a great
portion of my life...over 20 years)...what gets me to the strip is to see
the fountains at the Bellagio and the hotel in general is cool...there is an
indoor European style garden that they change about 4 times per year (to go
with the seasons)...the mosaic tile floors throughout the hotel are really
beautiful... there is a Dale Chihuly sculpture over the check in desk as
well as some lit up pieces behind the front desk done by Robert
Rauschenberg...the Venetian is worth taking a look inside...many wall murals
and paintings have been re-created from many European masters...hopefully
you have a car...its so hot here right now...and its only going to get
hotter...walking from hotel to hotel will start to tire you a bit in this
heat...it sometimes stays in the triple digits at night too...so be prepared
for that...if you have a car and want to see some of the desert, going out
to red rock is something that most people miss...its worth the trip...going
down to Fremont street (the old strip) is also something worth doing...the
Fremont street experience is a large light show that is on a canopy that is
over the street...its like a musical electric light show that is projected
on a curved vaulted 3 or 4 block long light screen...after sun set, it runs
about every hour i think...if you really like gambling, drinking and being
around alot of people, then being on the strip is going to be fun for
you...being by the pool is what i would do alot...but even there, you will
have no real peace and quiet since its so hot many people go to the
pools...I like going to Mandalay Bay too...the House of Blues sometimes has
cool bands...and its inside that hotel...they have an 80's late night that
used to be fun to go dancing at...if you want to shop, I like going to
Caesars' Palace...and I also like going to the stores in the Aladdin...all
the other hotels here are cool but they are very touristy...if that's what
you like then go to as many as you can...the favorites are: Luxor,
Excalibur, Mirage, Treasure Island, Paris...Circus Circus is not worth going
to in my opinion...it used to be fun before there was more to do for
kids...but, its not that interesting anymore...it feels kind of like being
in a David Lynch film...which might be ok for you if you like seedy and
strange environments...if you are near the Peppermill restaurant (across
from the Stardust) the bar in there is really wacky...it looks like you are
inside of 1970's...or in some sort of time warp at another time...its kind
of retro futuristic...so, this are just a few things i can think of that i
like about living here...hope this helps...