Welcome Kathleen

---------

From: Leslie Miller (lamiller3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 07:48:36 PDT

Welcome Kathleen!
You are joining as I leave the profession.  I feel as if I had the best job in the world for the last 38 years!  You are lucky to have this list to help you on your way.  What a wonderful group of human beings share this little bit of cyberspace!

Leslie in Framingham, MA
who is about to spend an afternoon at the new Eric Carle Museum near Amherst, MA
My name is Kathleen, and I live in Arizona. This upcoming school year will be my first year of teaching K - 6 art. I'll be at one school in the mornings and another in the afternoons, and I'll see each class every third day. After the first semester, I'll do the same thing with different groups of classes. Right now I'm trying to organize the mess of supplies left by the previous teacher - quite a task!

I'm still jumping up and down with excitement whenever I stop to realize that I'm an art teacher now! Previously I've taught six years of fifth grade and two years of sixth grade science with sixth - eighth art exploratories in the afternoon. I've also done a lot of after school classes and parks and rec classes with art. Oh, and before all of that, I worked for eight seasons as a park ranger, doing environmental ed. in national and state parks and forests.

Personally I enjoy the creative process in general, rather than specializing in one particular media. I do a little bit of everything and am enamored with the collage process (whether that be bookmaking, digital photo arranging, quilting or actual collaging). Currently I'm also really into drawing with black Sharpee markers and filling in the negative spaces with interesting abstract shapes. (Does anyone know about the longevity of Sharpee work? Will it eventually fade??)

Anyway, that's a bit about me. My personality, according to Myers-Briggs, is introverted, intuitive, feeling and perceiving. I'm so very excited to be an art teacher, as well as be part of this online community!

~ Kathleen Arola

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

- Pablo Picasso
  _____

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/security/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/protection.html> - You care about security. So do leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu