Re: Regarding inequities in online property rights

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 13:19:48 PDT

Kevan makes a well reasoned argument for his position. One difficulty is
that most teachers
don't have the foggiest idea where they got the idea in the lessons they
share. I have always
called it creative stealing. We put things together that work and test
them out for a few years
and then put them out there for others to steal/use whatever. Most of us
that sell ideas do so
simply to cover to cost of putting the stuff together to share. Of
course there are some major
commercial education sellers of ideas like Kagen. Most of their ideas
are not original, just put
in an attractive package with their name on it. Personally I would and
do encourage all
successful teachers to find ways to share what works for them so that we
all can gain. If you
must charge a few bucks so be it. One of the reasons I never liked the
idea of merit pay was
I thought it would stifle teachers sharing. I don't want teachers
keeping successful strategies
to themselves because of a bonus on the paycheck for being better that
your neighbor.
                                        Just my two cents, Woody in KC
(Soon in Albuquerque)

Kevan Nitzberg wrote:

> Educators who wish to have their services / products available at a
> price, would be better advised to publish their work or give workshops
> (online distance learning for credit in 'password protected meeting
> areas' for a fee would also fit in here), as opposed to sharing their
> ideas / personal resources in this open arena. I also feel, as we
> both have stipulated in earlier posts, that anyone who clearly is
> utilizing information gleaned from another party, should take the time
> to search for and provide original sources from where the material
> originated. Plagiarism is still plagiarism irrespective of medium.
>
> Kevan

---