RE: Russian Nesting Dolls - a "how to" Patti

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 08:45:06 PDT

Greetings Patti,

Matryoshka dolls are in the long mess of links I gave
you....scroll down...If you are interested in trying a
3-D lesson on these, Tweak this lesson idea for paper
mache penguins.
http://www.falkenart.net/howtopenguin.html
You wouldn't need the twist and shape balloons - you
could use shorter ones.

Tie a string around the balloon to form the head (or
try masking tape). Add a cardboard strip to make the
doll stand up. Paper mache with brown paper toweling
or brown craft paper to get a wood like look. Paint
pattern and designs with tempera or acrylic (paint
markers and pugffy paints are fun)- Permanent markers
for face and outlining - then high gloss (Mod-podge).

You could try to cut with X-acto to make them a
contaniner - but that may be too much work. Test your
sample first. You could add a cardboard ring around on
the inside to make it close up again... I think you
would have to do the cutting and adding the ring
yourself....so maybe make them just as a sculpture.
This would be good for grades 3 thru 5. Too many steps
for 2nd - but you could try it - You may have to get
balloons ready yourself for youngers. Even with grades
3, you may want to blow up the balloons yourself to
save time in class.

Judy Decker