RE: Paper Quilts- Underground Railroad - Fact or fiction?

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 07:46:57 PDT

Woody, the "fact or fiction" aspect refers specifically to whether or not secret codes were included as part of the quilts' imagery. The idea in question proposes that there were insider's symbols purposely sewn onto the quilts so that when the quilts where hung outside, folks travelling the underground railroad could interpret where the next safe house was, which direction to go, how long it might take, etc. The involvement of the quilts in this manner has not been substantiated.
What is known to be true is that often the slave owners would have slaves sew the quilts used in the plantation home, with credit given to the woman of the house - whether or not she put a single stitch on the quilt.
Jan