Character Education Lesson idea

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 16:25:09 PDT

Dear Jill and all,

Kathleen Arola posted this to Art Education list:

My previous school had a specific lifeskill (character
trait) that was highlighted schoolwide each week. In
order to get the kids into it, I cut out 4" diameter
construction paper circles. Then I printed out labels
of one lifeskill per circle. I came up with an animal
that I thought exemplified that particular lifeskill,
and I glued a picture and the name of the animal along
with the name of the lifeskill onto the circle. On
the back of the circle, I glued a definition of the
lifeskill. Then I laminated the circles. When
presenting them to students, I turned them upside
down, and each student randomly selected one. They
taped them onto their desks and journaled about how
they could work on that character trait. They kept
them up for one grading period, then for the next
grading period, they designed their own
lifeskill/animal circles.

It would be easy to modify this activity for the art
classroom, so the teacher isn't doing all of the
work.:) Students could do their own animal drawing,
or locate a famous artists' work to tie in art
history. The important thing is to keep the project
displayed somewhere in order to refer back to it with
behavioral goals. (Examples of animals were the dog
for loyalty or honesty and the bee or ant for
cooperation)

~ Kathleen Arola
------------------------
Jill - if this idea interestes you - you might want to
take a look at my animal symbolism pages:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/animals.htm
and (list contains many duplicates)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/animals.htm

Judy Decker