Re: Paper Quilts- Underground Railroad - Fact or fiction?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 11:49:19 PDT

I think the paper quilt idea is great for teaching around the theme of the
underground railroad. Quilting has a long tradition in the African-American
culture. It was often used to tell stories or provide information to those
traveling north to freedom. What I don't understand is the title
"fact or fiction". I never realized anyone doubted that there once was a
system of safe houses. Around this area the railroad ran through an area
of Kansas City, Kansas known as Quindaro. Presently students from KU
are excavating the ruins there to preserve part of the history of the
underground railroad. Bloody Kansas has a rich history related to the
fight to end slavery.
                                              Woody in KC

---