Advice for Michelle- High School - Group younger grades

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 09:24:17 PDT

Greetings Michelle,

Did you say your high school will be mixed grades? all
levels together? You might want to try a Choice Based
program for high school....Vary your own expectations
based on student ability and experience. (There is a
list serve for TAB Choice Art Ed on Yahoo groups). OR
one lesson for all - with different expectations for
each level? Do you know how large your classes will
be?

Grace Hall's Independent Project could get your
started thinking. When I taught high school - way back
in 1976 to 1979 - my Art 4 was all Choice.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Grace-IP.htm

Look for ways to make lesson planning easier for you.
For high school - the student would almost write the
lesson for you in the way you dsign your project
proposal form.

For the younger grades - group grades together - K's
and 1's doing nearly the same lesson (use same visuals
and change lesson slightly) - Grade 2 and 3 do the
same lesson and so forth...This will help you build a
lesson base without wearing yourself out. Just vary
expectations slightly for the more experienced
student.

Are you the first art teacher in this school? Might be
good to find out what has been done before.

Best wishes to you...Teaching in a K thru 12 school is
a BIG job. All of us will help any way we can.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker
jdecker4art@yahoo.com