Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Character Ed - one more for Jill (long) - also Jeannie Sandoval

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 13:20:44 PDT

Hi again Jill (Jeannie see note to you about the book)

My apologies to Lyris server - I am tricking her now and sending this on RoadRunner. She rejected my Yahoo address. I talked too much today. This is my last post today to Getty list - I just need to get Character Ed out of my mind right now. Sorry digest users for sending a long post in html - but this has some long URLs that wil break in plain text.

I found one more in my Art4Peace folder. All of my
posts to that list have been about Character Ed...I
can't forward all of them - won't even try. Anyone who
has a passion for Peace and Character Ed is invited to
join. I posted a lot at first - but have backed off. I
got started on a Hands Around The World - lots of
symbolism in hands... and Symbolism of Fish around the
world -- all good and yes about character, too.

If you are interested in Art4Peace list:

Subscribe address:

My post:

What is Character Education?

"The integration of character education virtues within
the classroom and school" It is NOT religion
education....BUT beliefs and values of cultures
you teach IS character education. Showing the kids
what these cultures value is a good thing.

Like minds - this is exactly what my Bluffton College
prof said:

- Know the Good (understand the trait and
intellectually agree that the trait is important).
- Desire the Good (emotionally desire to adopt the
- Do the Good (apply the trait in daily living).

Here are LOTS of resources:

I gave my book to Jeannie Sandoval years ago . She
became the "star" at her school for character ed. I
think she has since given the book to someone else?
(per my instructions). (Jeannie - if you still have
the book - let me know. Maybe Jill could use it?)

Lesson plans!

Citizenship/Character Education:
Be sure to look up Service Learning too (that is how I
got a free to me printer for my classroom and free to
me software - for a service learning project.

See Helen - multitude of links (does have pop up -
angelfire server):
(Peacemaker link broken right now).

AND of course MY site:

GREAT Videos for Kids:
Leonardo one focused more on his failures which I
thought was a bit sad.
Each video has a different goal:

Overcoming Obstacles
Healthy Curiosity
Humility/Creativity (this is Leonardo - but many
qualities could be
Bold Faith
Belief /Conviction

Art4Peace group -- looks like we are on the same page.
In time - I will see what kid appropriate sites there
are for each video.

Ooo...this is scary - I would rather see the tree as a
peacemaker than violence:
"Trees are our brothers" (Native American).

(Nicole -maybe get your school to buy one copy)
Violence prevention lesson plans (for a fee):

"Character education is not an "add-on" program; it is
something that should be part of the way the school
does business by connecting it to the existing

"Display the "character traits" posters in all rooms
of the school - including offices, hallways,
counseling rooms, multi-use rooms and classrooms."

Lots more WORDS:

This was all on first page Google - I know there is a
LOT more out there. I only entered Peacemaker
Character Education so I could get where they cross
over. Straight Character Education will give you many
more results.

Before next school year - my Heroes Lesson may be

Go in PEACE ....

Judy Decker
Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department