Peacemaker Themes - Six Pillars of Character Ed

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 11:32:39 PDT

More on the Peacemaker themes - I just found this from
Sandy J.

At my (parochial) school, the monthly Peacemaker
themes are: Perseverance, Good Judgment, Integrity,
Self-Discipline, Responsibility, Kindness, and
Respectfulness. Each week I write a little blurb
about the theme that the students read during morning
announcements as a "reminder"!

At the public elementary that my son attended, the
character education program utilized was Character
Counts, and their Six Pillars of Character are
trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness,
caring and citizenship. The Science teacher there was
a woodworking hobbyist who carved six columns, each in
a different style, dedicated to each theme. These
were set up in the school lobby for a beautiful visual
reminder for the children!This program has a website
that you might find informative -
http://www.charactercounts.org/
--------------------------------------
Jill - You could make some really nice pillars just
from roll paper - or from corrugated cardboard. Get
some architecture history in, too, with your choice of
cloumn styles? Don't forget to le tme know if you
receive any of my "words of wisdom"....others have
already seen all of these...They are probably getting
tired of seeing my name post right now (LOL). I post
to the list until I hear back from the list member off
list. This is all"free" help.

Judy Decker