Advice for New Teacher - Chair-ity Auction

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 10:46:31 PDT

Greetings Michelle,

Start planning for a fund raiser. A "Chair-ity
Auction" WILL work in a private school. I was very
successful raffling off large paper mache animals in a
private school (1990). We made three large animals
(almost life size). I can't remember now how much we
made by selling tickets (All grade levels bought
tickets - parents, too). My sixth graders made the
animals. They chose what animals to make. I made the
armatures to save time and they did all the paper
mache and painting (we cheated a bit by adding some
plaster gauze for more strength).

You could get all teachers to scramble in collecting
chairs for re-paints. Each classroom could be
responsible for one chair - In upper grades, you could
have one chair per table? High school one chair per
student? Just depends how you want to set it all up.

Here is one success story (sent to me by Sara Scheid)

STUDENT PAINTS ARTIST CHAIRS -Cherry Valley Elementary

http://www.polson.k12.mt.us/cherry/events/chairs/index.htm

http://www.polson.k12.mt.us/cherry/school/cvnews/chair.html

I highly recommend setting a minimum bid for each
chair...Save the chairs in storage that don't sell
then and repaint another year. Don't "give them away
for next to nothing" in other words. It might be hard
to find the $5.00 garage sale chairs now...folks are
getting wiser about the value of furniture.

If you don't think you can round up some nice wooden
chairs - think about those one piece molded chairs.
There is an article about them in current Smithsonian
- how they are showing up all over the world. Buy some
cheap at end of season. Turn them into a sculpture
project, too. Plaster gauze them and paint with latex
paints as base coat - They are still very durable. A
co-worker did six of them back in 1995 and they are
still in use at the local art resource center.
Functional Fine Art...They added sculptural elements
to the back of many of them -- even added casts of
hands at the arms. IF you are interested, I will see
if they will let me take some photos of the chairs.
Colors are all still bright and fresh.

Happy planning, Michelle....

Do let us know what media/art form ideas you need
most...and give us some idea what kind of budget you
have, too (what kind of materials on hand).

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker
jdecker4art@yahoo.com