Advice (Please!) for New Art Teacher (K-12)

---------

From: JMJ Smith (jmj_s_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 08:42:08 PDT

Hello everyone. I really need some advice on planning/organizing lessons for the upcoming school year. I'm very excited to begin my new career as an Art Teacher, but I'm overwhelmed at the thought of planning lessons for so many grade levels. (At age 37, this is a huge career change for me! My husband says he's never seen someone so excited about working more hours and earning less pay--he's a public school teacher!!!) I will be teaching pre-K through Grade 6 one day per week; Grade 7 daily (first half of year); Grade 8 daily (second half of year); and High School (one class Grades 9-12) daily. It is a small private school.

I have gotten so many good ideas from your posts, archives, emails, etc., but I'm not sure where to begin. For example, is it best to have all grades work on "drawing" and then plan drawing lessons according to grade level. Or should certain grades work on drawing while others work on painting, collage, sculpture, etc?? I would really appreciate any advice you could give to me on the appropriate structure/sequence of lessons for the year. Thank you so much!

Michelle