More on Character Development

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 08:36:03 PDT

I found another gem in my folder...

This is copied from the following URL
http://www.janaedwards.com/Life.html
It comes originally from Chicken Soup for the Teenage
Soul. I have copied it here without permission. I am
certain this is copyrighted material -- but I am also
certain the author would want kids to have this. Make
a big poster of this for your classroom.

What Life Is...

Life isn't about keeping score. It's not about how
many people you call and it's not about who you've
dated, are dating, or haven't dated at all. It isn't
about who you've kissed, what sport you play, or which
guy or girl likes you. It's not about your shoes or
your hair or the color of your skin or where you live
or go to school. In fact, it's not about grades,
money, clothes, or colleges that accept you or not.
Life isn't about if you have lots of friends, or if
you are alone, and it's not about how accepted or
unaccepted you are. Life just isn't about that.

     But life IS about who you love and who you hurt.
It's about how you feel about yourself. It's about
trust, happiness, and compassion. It's about sticking
up for your friends and replacing inner hate with
love. Life is about avoiding jealousy, overcoming
ignorance, and building confidence. It's about what
you say and what you mean. It's about seeing people
for who they are and not what they have. Most of all,
it's about choosing to use your life to touch someone
else's in a way that could never have been achieved
otherwise. These choices are what life's about.

             ~from Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul

I go this from a post from Deborah Gilbert - July 2003

>>There's a great passage at this site that I imagine
would have a profound affect on any student who might
casual read it, instead of listening to the teacher
talk

Last post for today from me now on this topic.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker
jdecker4art@yahoo.com