Character Ed - Everyday - from Samantha

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 08:16:01 PDT

Jill... I am finding some gems that I saved. Go back
to the Getty archives and see if lesson ideas were
posted. See July 2003 and September 2003. January 2004
Character Ed came up again.

Here is a post Samantha made:

First..a link for you
http://www.charactercounts.org/defsix.htm

As to highlighting them in the arts classroom...all of
the six characters are easily illustrated there I
think..Perhaps let the kids create visual displays
that show the ways they come to play in the arts
classroom as well?
For example :
Trustworthiness...
Don't deceive or cheat or steal...ie don't use anyone
else's supplies without asking..or swipe from anyone
else' stash of materials or even steal someone else's
idea for a project and call it your own.
Respect....respect each other's artistic differences
and strengths
Responsibility...do your project on your own without
constant reminders
Fairness...don't think that your way is the *only* way
to create a still life or a sculpture or an ocarina
:))
Caring...help someone who is struggling to do work in
a new medium...be careful when walking be someone who
is working in the art room so you do not bump them and
ruin their work
Citizenship...freedom of expression even in
artwork...becoming an art advocate...even kids can do
this!!
Brainstorm with the kidlets and see what they come
up...I know it's been my experience that they have a
strong sense of justice and always come up with ideas
I had not even thought of.
Just a few ideas there...have fun with the program.
~Samantha
-----------------------------------

From Judy

Walls of Words. I began my last year teaching with
displays of character traits through out the halls.
BIG 18" letters spelling out the word on the bulletin
boards then famous people's quotes all around (printed
on 12 x 18 paper so fonts were large). The teachers
loved it....Admin was thrilled to find one typo and
point it out to me... So at least they saw them
(grin).
I gave the admin a Mono Buck for his trouble - and
thanked him with a smile (and of course reprinted the
boo-boo). I told him he passed the test, too. Said I
make mistakes on purpose.

If you don't have big bulletin boards for the words
you listed - Maybe tape them to the wall? You may not
have time to do the famous quotes - maybe have kids
illustrate each word and put their drawings up all
around the word. What does it look like to be honest?
Can they illustrate that? What does it look like to
show resepct? Can that be illustrated by kids? You
will find that many will overlap - pictures will be
similar.
Spend some time at the beginning of the year with what
each word means...It will make your year go so much
more smoothly (with the kids anyways)....Can't say
what it will do with the adults though.

Here is something I posted in March to Art Education:

How about making some kind of poster for your room and
select artists/units for study that help build these
traits? You can rewrite them to be art room specific.

From a Character Ed site:

Trustworthyness:
Be honest. Don't deceive, cheat or steal. Be reliable
- do what you say you'll do. Have the courage to do
the right thing. Build a good reputation. Be loyal -
stand by your family, friends and country

Respect:
Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule. Be
tolerant of differences. Use good manners, not bad
language. Be considerate of the feelings of others.
Don't threaten, hit or hurt anyone. Deal peacefully
with anger, insults and disagreements

Responsibility
Do what you are supposed to do . Persevere: keep on
trying! . Always do your best . Use self-control. Be
self-disciplined . Think before you act - consider the
consequences. Be accountable for your choices

Fairness
Play by the rules. Take turns and share. Be
open-minded; listen to others. Don't take advantage of
others. Don't blame others carelessly

Caring
Be kind . Be compassionate and show you care . Express
gratitude . Forgive others. Help people in need

Citizenship
Do your share to make your school and community
better. Cooperate. Stay informed; vote. Be a good
neighbor. Obey laws and rules. Respect authority.
Protect the environment

Even something as simple as our "Survival Kit" can be
meshed into Character Education (link is easy to find
onsite in Search). How you write your classroom rules
can come into play....Built the pillars into your
rules.
------------------------
Here is a message from Sara Scheid:

I was doing some unboxing of my Art stuff and found
information on Charles Shultz. Great stuff.

This would make a great introduction to a My Hero
project.

http://users.ev1.net/~ervincen/charles_schultz_philosophy.htm

his bio

http://www.schulzmuseum.org/schulzbio.html
----------------------------

Be sure an somehow let me know if you are receiving my
list posts, Jill.... Everyone else has already seen
these.

Best wishes,

Judy Decker

=====