Character Ed - Everything you need to know....

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 07:38:17 PDT

Greetings,

I am going through my folder of "stuff" ...I know the
regulars on this list are getting tired of seeing
these words - but I will repost them now. ...from
Robert Fulghum

"All I ever needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten"

Most of what I really need to know about how to live,
and what to do, and how to be, I learned in
kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the
graduate school mountain, but there in the sand box at
nursery school.

These are the things I learned. Share everything. Play
fair. Don't hit people. Put things back where you
found them. Clean up your own mess. Don't take things
that aren't yours. Say you are sorry when you hurt
somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat. Flush. Warm cookies
and cold milk are good for you. Live a balanced life.
Learn some and think some and draw some and paint and
sing and dance and play and work everyday.

Take a nap every afternoon. When you go out in the
world, watch for traffic, hold hands, and stick
together. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed
in the plastic cup? The roots go down and the plant
goes up and nobody really knows how or why. We are
like that.

And then remember that book about Dick and Jane and
the first word you learned, the biggest word of all:
LOOK! Everything you need to know is there somewhere.
The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation,
ecology, and
politics and the sane living.

Think of what a better world it would be if we all,
the whole world, had cookies and milk about 3 o'clock
every afternoon and then lay down with our blankets
for a nap. Or we had a basic policy in our nation and
other nations to always put things back where we found
them and clean up our own messes.

And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when
you go out in the world, it is best to hold hands and
stick together.

--- Robert Fulghum

>> Live a balanced life.

Here is a lesson I am re-learning....I forgot that
lesson at that school....and it looks like I need a
refresher course in it now (smile).

I will share more tid-bits I have. Someday I may look
through all of the lessons on IAD wher I DO have
character education mentioned an compile a list for
all of you... But for starters - Check out the Hands
and Shoes ideas - those can all be done from a
character ed angle. It is easy to find the URLs using
the search feature...My internet is moving to slow for
me to find them right now.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker