Make every lesson Character Ed - every artist - every culture

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 07:04:11 PDT

Greetings Jill,

You really need to see what you can do to unblock my
email address. I have been bounced all year. I do have
stuff I can send - I have some posts I saved. I have
helped numerous people on this topic - one of my
passions. All was lost in that Yahoo acount that just
vanished without a trace. I can't get myself up to
recreate all of it (I spent Days on that topic). Maybe
one of those list members will see this and "pay it
forward"?

For cultures - think about Proverbs and folks tales.
They are all about character building. Teach about
cultures you admire. Teach about artist you admire.
You don't have to teach every artist who ever lived -
so be selective.

Here is my Character Ed - Heroes page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/heroes.htm
There are four lesson plans online using this work.

Heroes Triptychs

Heroes Shadow Box

Heroes Portraits

Heroes Figurative Sculpture

You can turn all of your self portrait lessons into
character ed lessons.... You can turn all of your name
design lessons in character ed lessons. ...All "about
me" lessons can be character ed.

Make a promise, Jill to send in just one lesson for
Character Ed for Incredible Art Department and I will
see what I can do... I am posting your question to the
other list serves. I can no longer brainstorm for days
on end without a "promise". My time is valuable, too.
Make sure you can keep that promise - as far too many
did not. It is summer and they are still too busy to
pay it forward... I am busy too. I am still working 10
hours a day - sometimes more.

Cheers,

Judy Decker