RE: Character Education & Art History - Jill and All

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 03:57:36 PDT

Jill, Judy and all,
Last year I had the kids make a book - we were doing a virtue each month. This was an ongoing project - we took about 1/2 hr a month. The book pages looked like a pizza with one piece taken away. Each month the students added the current virtue to one of the pie pieces. They chose their own format - how and where the virtue was written, also the type of illustration. As the students began each time, we'd discuss what that virtue looks like - how folks show that virtue, ideas on how to illustrate. Near the end of the year, we had to add a few virtues on the back. We made covers from cardboard pieces (recycled from cereal and cracker boxes) covered with construction paper. I can send more info in the fall - my pattern and pics are up at school. Unfortunately, the older kids - 4th and 5th grade thought this was kind of easy.
Jan