Story Pots - Ceramics idea for middle school - high school

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 15:27:33 PDT

Linda Erling-Baker shared her story pots with me
The idea came from Michal Austin
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/highschool/ceramics/story.html
(Linda - I need the name of your school and location)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/story.htm
These were done with a group non-art major high school students.
After the students were familiar with various methods of creating a pot
(slab, coil, pressed coil, draped slab), she brought in about 20 children's
books from the library. Next she had them do thumbnail sketches of 3 ideas
and choose the best one for the pot. They had to illustrate the story in the
form of a pot.

Here are some of the solutions. Some of these will be placed on High School
Ceramics ideas page (and lesson plans) in the future. I'm waiting for more
ideas to come in.
I can see this being done as a Service Learning project, too. Maybe have the
students read stories to the kindergarten students and teach them how to
make a pot (a simple bowl type).

Remember - all of these files I am posting will eventually be linked up....
I am just getting them out to you the fast way now (and one at a time is
easiest for me). Once I get files linked - I will copy the links on one
email and post a bunch at one time (to cut down on the number of posts
during the school year). I am taking the suggestion of several and will be
post Incredible Art Department updates in one big email. I think it will
make sense to put lessons plans on one message and link updates on another.
We'll see how it goes. I am always open to suggestions.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/