High School Ceramics Lesson Plan - IAD File

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 14:07:26 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a high school ceramics lesson plan by Deborah Bridges. I'll be
linking it up to high school plans in the future. It is also good for middle
school.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/relief.htm
Images:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/relief1.jpg
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/relief2.jpg
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/relief3.jpg

I am just getting these files out the easy way this summer so folks can save
them - edit - print them off.

My first year teaching (1976), I had a student make a clay relief (about 12
x 18) - He made a plaster mold of it then cast the relief sculpture a couple
times. One for himself and one for a gift. He gave them a bronze patina with
a variety of spray paints and car paints.. He saved the mold in case he
wanted to make more casts later. I didn't have special mold separator soap.
He just used dish liquid mixed with vegetable oil. He did tint the first
layer of plaster (used bluing) when making the mold so he could see the
layer between mold and cast. The first layer was kind of flicked on the clay
to force it into all the nooks and crannies (it was messy - but easy to
clean up). He had to be very careful about undercuts when making the clay
model. Any undercuts would make it difficult for the mold to separate from
the cast. If I were to do the lesson today, I would have him cast it in
paper, too. I'll add this lesson extension onto Deb's lesson. Thanks for
sharing the lesson, Deborah.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department